Quick Start: Recovering files of a specific type (or in a specific location)
Here's the fastest way to get your files back:
- Start Recuva in Wizard mode. If the Wizard doesn't appear, click the Options button, and then click Run Wizard.
- On the Welcome to the Recuva Wizard page, click Next.
- On the File Type page, select the type of files you want to recover, then click Next. If you're not sure what type of files you're looking for, select Other.
- On the File Location page, select the location where you want to search, and then click Next.
- On the Thank You page, click Start. Recuva displays the progress of the scan, and then shows its search results in the main window. If the file(s) you're looking for aren't in the list, see below.
- Select the check boxes beside the file or files you want to restore. The color of the dot next to the file name indicates your chances for a successful recovery (green for excellent, orange for acceptable, and red for unlikely):
Click Recover. Select a destination for the recovered files (ideally, on another drive). Click OK.
If Step 5 did not locate the files you were seeking, close Recuva and run Steps 1 to 4 again. On the Thank You page, select Enable Deep Scan and then click Start. This advanced scan will take much longer (possibly hours).
Note: If you're trying to recover deleted emails, you'll need to use the advanced mode. Relax -- it's still pretty easy. Take a look at this topic.